Thursday, April 24, 2008

DigitalNow - InteractiveWhen?

Today, I am at a conference called DigitalNow. It seems to be focused on providing new technological tools to people in management and leadership positions within national organizations. Doesn't quite sound like my cup of tea, but I've surprised even myself today; I really love this stuff. I don't know how healthy that is, but I plan on plugging away regardless.

I don't feel like I am in over my head, but that I swim in a completely different and deeper sphere. These people understand the importance of shifting dynamics. They realize what technology can do. But they are keeping to the present; These people are playing catch-up without leaping towards the future. When my generation becomes the market that they are attempting to deal with, they will have no idea what to do with us. They have the shift in content down, but the idea of interactivity is beyond them; they have kept track of the "what" without the "how."

Rather than attempt to create new structures of organization, why not put it entirely in the hands of the user? Is this too much of a break from profits? When users are completely in control of what they are attracted to and how they are able to manipulate it, when you provide tools that can enable an infinite number of possibilities, how much need is left for the provider? Less than they seem comfortable with.

Games have a far greater negative connotation than I had previously realized. Having just gotten to the hotel last night, while scrambling for food, we ran into another conference goer who was enthralled by what we were here doing; but he mentioned that his job did not allow him the space that was needed to jump on board. Why would anyone do this? Either they do not understand or they are afraid of losing control. Is the control that they cling to even needed? Would group discovery and dynamics not be more productive on a community level? We won't know until we try.

As I write this, the technology at this conference has started to disappoint, in an ironic turn. The speakers are popping in general session, and one of the videos requested by a panelist was not played successfully by any means. Though the techno is sound (no pun intended), I do declare: it's just plain tech-tacky.

It's interesting to think that these organizations that are completely unassociated with the technological industry are looking towards change and improvement: but the people speaking to these issues do not all seem to be the experts I was hoping for. As with many conferences, it appears to be a preaching-to-the-choir dynamic. If I ever run a conference, it will be one led by people from all walks of life.

No comments: