Thursday, May 22, 2008

Lazy-ish Week

I've been sleeping in until 8:30 or 9 for the past few days, and it feels sooooo good. I feel a little bit guilty about doing it, but I just don't have the motivation to get up bright and early in the morning to do a job that a trained monkey could probably handle, as long as it wasn't as technologically savvy and therefore utterly frustrated as I am by the amount of paper filing I have to do. I don't mind the days when I can sweep through my boss's office and make her feel like half the problems in her world have disappeared, but when I get bogged down with a grueling, menial task like cutting up slips of paper and stapling them onto index cards while writing the purchasing year on the corner and paper-clipping them if they were requested by faculty before alphabetizing them and indexing them for four hours...you get the idea. I don't like it.

Sadly, I think tasks like this suck the creative juices out of me, too. I really wish I had pushed to get two paid positions at the EMC this summer. Whether the pay would be better or worse, the effects on my mental state would have been worth it. As it stands right now, I have such a strong desire to sit down and literally do nothing to take away the feeling of having done so much that means nothing over the course of the day. This is all coming out of a week in which I've spent only 4 hours on a creative project and the rest on lists and books, so perhaps even getting back into my regular routine will feel better next week. Plus a three day weekend! Woo-hoo!

No comments: